Let’s face it, the roads are busy during the holidays. According to AAA, roughly 107.3 million Americans traveled 50 miles or more from home during Dec. 23 through Jan. 1 of last year. Whether you are traveling by sleigh or car, follow these simple tips to ensure the safety of you and other passengers before you hit the road.
- Familiarize yourself with the route you plan on taking and share it with those you are going to visit.
- Make sure your vehicle is inspected before a long drive (oil, brakes, tires, etc.). Bringing your car in to be serviced can deter a roadside incident from occurring.
- Prepare a well-stocked emergency kit to keep in your vehicle with necessary tools, including a spare tire, jumper cables and a first-aid kit.
- Pack a car charger for your phone, especially if you are using it for navigation.
- Never drive while under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Make sure that whoever is driving is fully alert and gets plenty of rest before getting behind the wheel.